S.H. Figuarts version of the Hammer Bro., it's nice to have an official World of Nintendo version, too. Plus, they're usually referred to as the Hammer Bros., so having two of them just makes sense. I love these guys ( a Fire Bro. has just been released and I'd love a Boomerang Bro. in the future, too) and having this classic villain is really fun. Let's check him out after the break...
Height: 3 3/4ths inches
Articulation: Swivel knees, swivel/hinge hips, swivel/hinge shoulders, hinged elbows, swivel wrists, and a swivel/hinge neck.
Non-Scalper Price: $12 dollars
*Here's a quick comparison of Jakks' Hammer Bro. (on the left) and Bandai's Hammer Bro. (on the right). They look pretty similar, don't they? Bandai's is a bit sharper but it doesn't have any articulation. Seriously, get both if you want a cool Nintendo display. They both have strengths and weaknesses.
* The Hammer Bro. has a pretty cool sculpt. I feel like it just has to be tough to get some of the Nintendo characters to look "right" as three dimensional toys but Jakks has done a pretty admirable job overall. The overall shape, colors, and the little details such as the stripes on the plastron and the positioning of the limbs really help to make this guy feel like he warped right out of your favorite cartridges.
* The Hammer Bro. has a really good headsculpt. The eyes are just OK (Bandai's are better) but the helmet and shape of the beak are excellent. I love the open mouth!
* Most of the Nintendo characters have body shapes that don't seem conducive to articulation points. Jakks squeezed in far more articulation here than I would have thought including a swivel/hinge neck. While the Hammer Bro. is by no means superarticulated, you can get some fairly fun poses out of him!
* The shell looks really nice as well. It's not crazy detailed or realistic or anything but it certainly looks like it belongs in a Mario game.
* The Hammer Bro. of course comes with his namesake: A hammer! It fits well in his right hand and has a few paint applications to bring it to life!
* The swivel join on the Hammer Bro.'s knee/calf/ (ankle?) is kind of oddly placed. It looks odd and probably would have been better if it had been placed down inside of his shoe. Just an aesthetic nitpick on my part, of course.
shown up in greater number later, but others have disappeared from the face of the earth (I still really want an Ice Mario!). Who knows which camp the Hammer Bro. will fall into?
If you're a fan of the Hammer Bros. check out the Hammer Bro. included with the Bandai Diorama Playset E.
For more World of Nintendo figures, check out the following:
Gravity Suit Samus
Link (Ocarina of Time)
Link (The Wind Waker)
Link in Goron Tunic
Mario with Cappy
White Tanooki Mario
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- A Tour of the DC Universe Podcast