Mario got Wario early in the World of Nintendo line but only now is Luigi getting his evil twin rival, Waluigi! Well, calling Waluigi Luigi's twin isn't really accurate. He's more like an evil exaggeration of Luigi. Where Luigi is tall, thin, and has an epic mustrache, Waluigi is taller, thinner, and has an even more epic mustache. Originally appearing in Mario Tennis back in 2000, Waluigi has become a mainstay of the Super Mario Bros. crew over the past 15 or so years. He's one of the three new characters to be released in World of Nintendo series 1-5 (along with Sheik and Bowser Jr., whom I haven't found yet) and was probably the one I was most looking forward to. Ready for a closer look at this dastardly villain? Then pretend to twirl your villainous mustache, make a devious chuckle, and join me after the break...
Height: 5 3/4 inches
Articulation: Swivel ankles, hinged knees, ball jointed hips, swivel/hinge shoulders, hinged elbows, swivel wrists, and a swivel neck.
Non-Scalper Price: $10-$12 dollars
* Originally there was some concern that Jakks Pacific might make Waluigi too short. Fortunately, those fears were unfounded: Waluigi is adequately taller than Luigi and has a great gangly appearance. Th articulation in his arms is quite nice and he's absolutely a fun figure to play with.
* The headsculpt is really good here. Jakks has done a wonderful job of translating the colorful, exaggerated Super Mario Bros. characters into three dimensional action figures. I love Waluigi's exaggerated features, his devious grin, and his dastardly mustache. He looks ready to tie someone to some railroad tracks and laugh maniacally!
* The paintwork on the figure looks really nice. Considering these are mass market figures, I don't feel that Jakks really ever skimps on the paintwork, as some companies like Playmates are wont to do. I love the backwards "L's" on Waluigi's gloves. They're so neat and clean and just add to this guy's bizarre charm.
* My only problem with the figure itself is that Waluigi has a tendency to tip over unless you really focus on posing him in a deep knee bent stance. He's not impossibly to pose, just difficult. He will tip over from time to time unless you use a doll stand or something to support him.
* Waluigi comes with.... a coin? Another coin? Don't get me wrong, coins weren't bad the first few times we got them. They're just starting to get old. The figures can't interact with them and they don't add much to displays. I really wish Waluigi had come with something cooler, such as the Poison Mushroom from Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels. That would have been flipping amazing.
This is the only Waluigi figure I've reviewed, but I have reviewed plenty of other World of Nintendo figures, including:
Gravity Suit Samus
Link (Ocarina of Time)
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
- Evil-Lyn's Dungeon
- The Fright Zone
- The Wonderdome
Monday, February 8, 2016
Action Figure Review: Waluigi from World of Nintendo by Jakks Pacific
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
AW, you got 'em already? Where did you find him?ReplyDelete
He looks great! Sad that he just gets another coin, though. Shoulda given him an open hand and a tennis racket. Out of all of them; Waluigi NEEDS to hold things. I mean, all of his appearances are on the side games where he's usually holdin' stuff!
Ah well, I'm just happy to get 'em in the line. Jakks is really filling out the collection!
Amazon. Over the past week or two I've found everyone from series 5 on Amazon. I just keep checking back and they eventually all popped up for 11.99. (I have Prime so I could order them individually).Delete
And yeah, I was hoping he'd have a tennis racket, too. That was his first appearance, right? Mario Tennis on N64?
JUST found him at TRU, today, along with Sheik, but I always forget about Amazon for standard stuff like this. I should keep that in mind more often, just to save me the hunt.Delete
And yeah, I think Mario Tennis was his first appearance, so far that I remember.
I had fallen in love with this figure so much I built an Instagram all about it. @feat.waluigi instagram.com/feat.WaluigiReplyDelete
That's really cool! Do you have a special tote for carrying Waluigi with you everywhere you go?Delete