- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- Hokey Halloween Horror!!!
- My Batgirl Collection!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Dark Knight
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Gallery
Saturday, February 6, 2016
Barbecue's Bonfire: 2/6/2016
Anyways, join me this week as I talk about hunting down Star Wars: The Black Series figures, Batman Eternal, my gut reaction to the Hasbro/ Mattel merger rumors, NECA's upcoming Rocky 40th Anniversary line, DC Collectibles' Black and White Batgirl statue, and more...
Barbecue's Trading Post. Let me know if you have a Yoda, Bespin Luke, or Anakin Skywalker to trade. I'll happily work to see what I have that you'd like to own to trade for them.
* Last week on Barbecue's Bonfire I talked about how I was told that I was the "Best Customer" at the Chinese/ Japanese restaurant I eat lunch at a few times (or more) a week. Well, it turns out that the Best Customer has some responsibilities: I walked in one day this week and the extremely nice lady who runs the restaurant asked me to help her write the text for a sign. I did my duty as best customer and helped write up the text for a sign to let large trucks know that the restaurant's parking lot is not a thru-street. I was proud of my work and have received many extra fortune cookies and an egg roll for my efforts. My ultimate goal is to have a dish named after me.
* NECA has finally announced their upcoming Rocky 40th Anniversary line! I really think NECA's work on the Rocky line is where you can see NECA transition from making more statuesque figures into their current well articulated figures with amazing articulation. I own a few of the earlier figures (The Rocky and Apollo 2 pack, Clubber Lang, Ivan Drago, and the "Bloody Spit" Rocky) but I'm glad NECA is doing a mixture of rereleases and new figures, as some of the earlier figures are hard to find. Let's hope Creed and Rocky Balboa get some love here, too.
1. A ver 2. Catwoman
5. Talia al Ghul
* So...recent rumors seem to indicate that Hasbro and Mattel have talked about a merger again. Here's my gut reaction: This would be devastating for mainstream, mass market action figure collecting. Besides Hasbro and Mattel, right now the only action figure line that gets any kind of aisle space at places like Wal-Mart and K-Mart is Playmates' TMNT line. Everything else is Hasbro and Mattel. Combine those two and there would be little reason to innovate anymore as there's no competition for shelf space. If you think the mainstream movie lines suck now, wait until HasMat knows that they're not going to get one upped by the competition. The only way I could see this in a positive light would be if it caused some smaller companies like Jakks Pacific, McFarlane, Funko to step up and try to fight for some retail space. I also have the feeling that the smaller properties from these companies that many of us love would almost absolutely disappear unless their were move deals in place.
*I just started The Joker: Endgame, and now I really want a Justice Buster from Mattel's DC Comics Multiverse line, but don't want the Flash or Green arrow figures. Anyone want to sell or trade some extra pieces. Heck, the Joker and Batman are the only figures from this series I think I want. If you have extra "Collect & Connect" pieces, please let me know! This thing does look pretty cool as a figure but it was incredible in the comic.
Well, that's all for this week. Keep checking back as I've got a nice selection of reviews lined up for this week, which should include some more Star Wars Black figures, the new Bella Twins Battle Pack from WWE, some of the newest series of World of Nintendo, an Arkham Knight figure or two, and a few of my Charlotte MiniCon pickups from last week! Have a great week everyone!