Suncoast (that were typically located in shopping malls) carried lots of The Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise released by the toy company Applause, who crafted the cool Zero figure I'm reviewing today. While Applause is no more, they definitely were a mainstay of gift shops and entertainment retailers in the 1990s releasing lots of licensed merchandise for properties like Star Wars, Batman, the California Raisins, and The Nightmare Before Christmas. I've had this Zero since 1993 and he has always had a home on display in my wife and I's Nightmare Before Christmas collection. Let's check him out as our "terrifying" toy of the day, shall we?
Height: 2 1/4 inches
Articulation: Swivel head, rolling wheels on bottom
Year of Release: 1993
* I love Zero's character design and while he's much more spirit-like in the film, I think Applause did a pretty nice job of translating him into a toy. The proportions of the head look good and the face is absolutely adorable. The ears are also flying about in a very free spirited manner that should charm anyone who loves dogs.
* Yeah, the paintwork doesn't look that impressive up close, but this is my super macro lens. When looking at Zero's pumpkin-like nose with your naked eye, the paint and the actual sculpted jack o' lantern face looks pretty good. Being a sucker for pumpkins and dogs, this just absolutely rocks my world.
* Looking at Zero, he almost looks like he could be cast in glow-in-the-dark plastic. I'm pretty sure he isn't but the somewhat pearlescent plastic definitely gives off the same ghostly vibe.
* Zero actually has an action feature: Roll him across a smooth surface and his head turns left and right. This has never been too big of a deal to me but the presence of the wheels does make him appear to float, which is pretty cool, and does add a little bit of extra oomph to him.
This is the first Zero figure I've reviewed on Action Figure Barbecue! I have more Nightmare Before Christmas action figures though, including:
The Nightmare Before Christmas by Diamond Select Toys
Oogie Boogie (Toys 'R Us Edition)
The Nightmare Before Christmas by NECA (2002)
The Nightmare Before Christmas ReAction by Funko (2014)
Clown with the Tear-Away Face
Jack Skellington (Evil Smile)
Pumpkin King Jack
If you're looking for more thrills from 31 Days of Toy Terror, check them out here!
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle