- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- A Tour of the DC Universe Podcast
Monday, October 9, 2017
Action Figure Review: Hawkgirl from DC Super Hero Girls by Mattel
Height: 6 inches
Articulation: Boot swivels, swivel/hinge knees, swivel/hinge hips, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel wrists, and a ball jointed head.
Non-Scalper Price: $10 dollars
* Hawkgirl has an incredibly vibrant paintjob. The design is very similar to her classic design and has an awesome mixture of colors. I love the bold colors and the clean work on the symbol on her chest.
* The headsculpt and work on the hair both are really good. The paintwork on the face is also super neat and clean, particularly the eyes.
* Hawkgirl's wings are included as accessories and you do have to plug them in (they come separate from the figure). They simply plug in and you can rotate each wing at the base. I love the metallic color used for the plastic. It works pretty well on a fairly "toyish" line like this one.
* Hawkgirl's boots are pretty cool. The orangish-yellow design kind of looks like the foot of a bird, doesn't it?
*Hawkgirl does tend to fall over. There's something about the design of the figure that makes her tough to stand up on her own.
* I love the design of her goggles but I wish they were either a separate piece or that they could be swiveled down over Kendra's eyes. They have such a cool appearance and it's disappointing that the only way the figure can utilize them is stuck on her forehead.
* Kendra's bracers are cool but where is her mace? It's kind of her signature accessory and I know it's used on the show. It really seems like an oversight.
I love the design and concept of this line. It's very cool that girls are getting the chance to have superhero toys marketed specifically towards them. To be honest though, speaking as a DC fan I'm just really glad to see most of these characters get some support at mainstream retail. It's been nearly 9 years since a Hawkgirl action figure was available in stores so it's good to see that any young DC fan can get their hands on a toy of this character. She certainly has some design choices that could have been improved but, considering the line and the price point, she's a Good figure. I just wish Mattel had included her Nth metal mace.
If you're looking for another Hawkgirl review you can check out my review of the DC Comics Lil Bombshells Hawkgirl minifigure.
For more DC Super Hero Girls, check out the following reviews:
DC Super Hero Girls by Mattel (2016)
6 inch line
Action Collection (Batgirl, Beast Boy, Harley Quinn, Katana, Supergirl, and Wonder Woman)
13 inch line
Batgirl (Training Outfit)