He-Man and Battle Cat on Tuesday and today I'm looking at Skeletor and Panthor. Whenever Battle Cat shows up you just know that Panthor is going to follow, don't you? Let's check out this two pack after the break...
Height: 3 3/4ths inches
Articulation: Swivel hips, swivel shoulders, and a swivel head.
Accessories: Havoc staff
Height: 3 1/4ths inches, 6 1/2 inches long
Articulation: Swivel tail, swivel hips, and a hinged "trap door" back.
Non-Scalper Price: $35 dollars
* Panthor and Battle Cat use the same sculpt and same saddles, just with different colors. Panthor also has flocking while Battle Cat doesn't, just like the vintage toys.
* This set includes a Skeletor who, sculpt wise, is similar to any of the other ReAction Skeletor figures released. The biggest difference here is that Skelly's purple outfit parts have a slightly metallic sheen to them. It looks quite nice and while it's not as noticeably different as He-Man's metallic paint apps, it still looks good and sets this figure apart as being a bit special.
* I like the Skeletor headsculpt in the ReAction line as it's rather creepy and evocative of the earliest minicomic art by Alfredo Alcala while still having a vintage Kenner feel.
* If you've ever picked up a retro figure like this, you know what to
expect: 5 points of articulation and all swivel joints. Skeletor feels
well made and sturdy. Super7 has been very
consistent in the quality of their ReAction lines over the past couple of years.
* Skeletor nearly always comes with his Havoc Staff, this time molded in a very classic purple color.
*Of course, you've a really cool saddle as well. Just like Battle Cat's it's designed to allow Skeletor to slide into the middle via a trapdoor, kind of like the vintage Kenner Dewback and Tauntaun.
* I'm A-OK with this headsculpt and I actually like it a little better flocked. He really looks a lot like the vintage toy. The yellow eyes and bright white teeth definitely cause this one to pop, don't they?
* Panthor is articulated, which means he's actually more articulated
than the vintage toy (which had no articulation at all). The swivel hips
and swivel tail do make this guy kind of fun to mess around with. I
like making him look like he's pouncing. Go Panthor, go!
* Like the vintage Tauntaun and Dewback, Skeletor is supposed to slip inside
of a trapdoor on the figure's back. It doesn't work. I cannot get him inside and he just gets stuck. I think it's Skeletors feet that get in he way.
*There are also no "fake legs" on the side
of the saddle. That helped to sell the illusion with the Tauntaun and
the Dewback, but here it looks kind of awkward when you look a figure sitting "inside" Panthor, even with the saddle on.
* I tried to get Skeletor inside but never could. All that happened was that Panthor's flocking ended up getting scuffed up and started to fall off. Grrr!! That really, really shouldn't happen after one use, should it.
Like with Battle Cat and He-Man, Skeletor and Panthor look fantastic. Unfortunately, I cannot get Panthor's trap door to work with Skeletor and the flocking is already falling off of the door. Seriously, what the heck? That really should have been apparent to anyone who tested this item. I love the look of these two, but this one really only warrants a Good rating. It's good for displaying them separately, but just let Skeletor walk! He can't really ride Panthor and you'll end up damaging Panthor's fur.
I've reviewed so many toys of Skeletor/ Keldor that he has his own review archive. Check out Snake Mountain for more Skeletor reviews!
If you're a Panthor fan I've also checked out the M.U.S.C.L.E. version of Panthor and Panthor and Panthor (flocked) from MOTU Action Vinyls.
For more Masters of the Universe ReAction reviews, check out the following:
Anti-Eternia He-Man (Clear Smoke)
Beast Man (Leo)
Beast Man with Weapons Pack
Grizzlor (Dark Variant)
Grizzlor (Toy Variant)
He-Man and Battle Cat
Mantenna (Toy Variant)
Mer-Man (Carry Case Colors)
Modulok (Top Toys Variant)
Orko (Cartoon Colors)
Ram Man (Mini Comic)
Scare Glow (Clear)
Skeletor (Los Amos)
Slime Pit He-Man
Trap Jaw (Cartoon Colors)
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle