- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
Sunday, October 11, 2015
31 Days of Toy Terror Returns: Big Daddy from Now Playing Presents Land of the Dead by SOTA Toys
Back in the mid-2000s, everybody who was anybody was doing a toyline that encompassed a wide range of disparate characters. McFarlane had Movie Maniacs, NECA had Cult Classics, N2 Toys had Hardened, and SOTA had Now Playing. Now Playing had some of the most obscure licenses such as Darkman, Dog Soldiers, and The Toxic Crusader but in 2006 they released a series of figures under the Now Playing banner based on the previous year's Land of the Dead, the long awaited fourth film in George Romero's Living Dead series. Played by Eugene Clark, Big Daddy is a zombie who seems to be more intelligent than the rest and capable of some degree of strategy. He becomes a leader to the zombies and guides them against the luxurious Fiddler's Green housing complex. Ready for a closer look at Big Daddy? Then join me after the break...
Height: 7 1/4 inches tal
Articulation: Swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel wrists, a hinged neck, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Jack hammer, Steyr AUG assault rifle, 2 swappable right hands (pistol grip and G-grip), victim's left arm and head.
Original Retail Price: $11-$16 dollars
*Big Daddy is a nice looking figure. He's a pretty basic looking zombie but everything about him works. The headsculpt is excellent and does a pretty fine job of capturing the film version of the character. He's wearing some mechanics overalls which look appropriately baggy and worn.
* Since Big Daddy is portrayed as being more intelligent than your average zombie, he comes with a few tools he uses in fighting against the living: A jackhammer and a Steyr AUG assault rifle. Both of these weapons can fit in Big Daddy's right hand and they're both really impressive. Crisp, sharp sculpts and nice paint applications make them definitely feel like very high quality pieces. It's not often that zombies come with accessories like this.
*The overall paint isn't bad at all, but take a closer look at Big Daddy's name tag. Something is off, isn't it? Here's a hint: It doesn't say "Big Daddy." It says "Big Dadd." I even checked movie stills to make sure this wasn't something the film did but it's not. This guy's name tag is screwed up.
* I'm not expecting the most articulation from a zombie but Big Daddy is woefully under-articulated. His head and shoulders have a decent range of movement, but everything else is static. A ball jointed waist or some elbow joints would have been excellent in giving this figure a little more life. Err... I mean death.
Want more zombies? I've reviewed a few:
Imaginext: Collectible Figures Series 3 by Fisher-Price (2014)
Lego: Monster Fighters (2012)
Garbage Pail Kids Really Big Mystery Minis by Funko (2015)
The Real Ghostbusters: Monsters by Kenner (1989)
The Zombie Monster
Tales from the Cryptkeeper by Ace Novelty (1994)
The Cryptkeeper (Robed)
Spawn Series 28: Regenerated by McFarlane Toys (2005)
Grave Digger 2
Batman: Arkham City by DC Collectibles (2011)
Justice League Imaginext by Fisher-Price
Evil Dead II by NECA
OTMF! by October Toys
Hot Pink AP Zombie Pheyden
Lucky Green Zombie Pheyden
Winter Blues Zombie Pheyden
Plastic Army Men by Various
Zombie Playset by Boley
Zombies at War by Brilliant Novelty Co./ Spherewerx
S.L.U.G. Zombies by Jakks Pacific
Series 4-Gangeren Gene, Ferocious Frankie, and Johnson
Z.O.M.B.I.E.S. by October Toys
Series 1- "Flesh"
Series 1- Red Edition
Resident Evil 10th Anniversary Collection by NECA
Video Game Superstars Presents: Capcom's Resident Evil by Toy Biz (1998)
Chris Redfield & Cerberus
Forest Speyer & Maggot Zombie
Video Game Superstars Presents: Capcom's Resident Evil 2 by Toy Biz
Claire Redfield & Zombie Cop
Hunk & Zombie