* There has long been fan conjecture that the main members of the Evil Horde (Grizzlor, Leech, Mantenna, etc.) are based on the Universal Monsters. That doesn't seem to really be the case but Hordak definitely takes inspiration from sources that put him in the realm of horror. His armor, covered with bats (the Evil Horde's logo) and with a red and black color scheme definitely gives him a vampire-like appearance. There were lots of early concepts for Hordak that didn't look as vampire-like but the final result definitely seems like a magical vampire wizard. One of the big differences between this figure and the original Hordak is his belt. The standard figure has the regular MOTU furry trunks and belt while this guy has a diamond shaped belt buckle.
* Hordak's headsculpt (designed by Ted Mayer) is apparently based on a witch doctor's mask. It's an incredible design, both skull-like and alien. The red teeth and eyes definitely make Hordak even more frightening. He's also wearing a collar made of bones of some sort (it's part of the headsculpt).
* While he is rocking a massive Horde emblem on his chest, that's not enough for Hordak. He's also sporting an armband with the logo of the Evil Horde. It's a nice detail that ties him in with his cronies.
* I've never been wild about the crossbows most of the vintage Evil-Horde members came with (these were radically improved for Masters of the Universe Classics) . I mean what's the point? It just knocks over a person standing nearby? I've never really liked these.
* I don't like Hordak's cape, either. It's made from a soft vinyl (kind of like the vintage Star Wars capes) and it uses these thin little tabs to plug into slits in the lever on Hordak's back. It doesn't fit too well, tends to fall off, and feels very fragile. I'm surprised mine has unbroken tabs! I have no idea where the weird holes came from, though.
If you're a fan of Hordak then check out my reviews of the Masters of the Universe Classics "Buzz Saw" Hordak and the Spirit of Hordak, NECA's Hordak staction, the ReAction Hordak and Hordak (Grey), the Sonic kids meal Hordak, and the M.U.S.C.L.E. slime Hordak.