Height: 4 7/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel hips, swivel shoulders, and a swivel neck.
Accessories: Knife, removable lower jaw.
Year of Release: 1998
Original Retail Price: $8 dollars
* The Night Recon Predator is easily one of my favorite Predators in Kenner's line. The oversized jaw might be a bit "unrealistic" but who cares, right? This guy looks really massive and frightening with cool details like the skull hanging from his belt and the elaborate armor. Honestly, he looks to me like Kenner's attempt at an Alien/ Predator hybrid. I didn't own this guy as a kid, only picking him up when completing my collection over the last year or so, but I sure wish I had owned him as a kid.
Predalien shows up later in AvP: Requiem but this guy is reversed, being more Predator than Alien. The original figure would have had green skin but I do like the pale tan of skin of this guy, too. That jaw is crazy for sure! The lower jaw is actually removable but it doesn't seem to serve any purpose. Must have just been easier to mold it separately, I suppose.
* The back of the headsculpt shows off the weird Xenomorph-like bulbous protrusion. Again, nothing in the prototype seems to imply that Kenner was going to market this guy as a hybrid but it really seems present in the sculpt. I'd love to know more about the intention of this figure.
* Like most of the Kenner Predators and Space Marines, the Night Recon Predator has five points of articulation. He's durable and moves pretty well. While he's posed in a bit of a crouching battle stance he stands well and doesn't feel overly pre-posed.
* The prototype figure was supposed to come with a rifle, a mask, and a bird-like creature, but for the budget Aliens: Hive Wars line Kenner didn't include any of those weapons. The best weapon is a sculpted part of the Night Recon Predator's arm and appears to be some sort of an elaborate laser cannon. I love it! It's crazy that the sculpted on weapons on most of the Predator figures are better than their included weaponry.
* The Night Recon Predator includes a large black knife that he can hold in his right hand. It has a serrated blade and some sort of little protrusion on the hilt. Maybe a flashlight or a laser pointer?
* The knife actually wasn't intended for this figure. It was actually made to to fit on the hip of the Corporal Hicks figure from the Hive Wars series. It's a shame Night Recon Predator didn't even get an accessory of his own!
there were some amazing Predator designs that never saw the light of day).
If you're a fan of the Predator, I've also reviewed some other Predators including the ReAction Predator (Thermal Vision), NECA's Jungle Hunter and City Hunter Predator 2 pack and their vintage styled Berserker Predator, and Kenner's Alien versus Predator 2 pack, Lava Planet Predator, and Cracked Tusk.
Loved those Kenner Aliens and Predators. This guy looks cool.ReplyDelete
I really like him! The prototype was so much cooler, though. Still, Glad KB toys was able to get some unused sculpts out.Delete