true final wave was released as an SDCC 2011 exclusive) and, sadly, it showed how Hasbro was really improving this line as it went. Hasbro was on fire with this scale back in 2008. Let's check out Mola Ram after the break. Kali maa!
Height: 3 7/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel hips, swivel waist, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel wrists, and a balljointed head.
Accessories: Helmet, dagger, chalice, crate, Chinese Lion artifact, sash, and flaming heart.
Original Retail Price: $7-$8 dollars
Year of Release: 2008
* Mola Ram is a fantastic looking 1/18th scale figure and easily one of the most impressive figures in the entire Indiana Jones line. He is insanely well detailed with lots of paointed elements for his tattoos and the various necklaces he wears. The upper part of his robe is actually a separate piece that is permanently attached over his torso, but it gives the figure a much more life-like appearance.
* The headsculpt is awesome! The Indiana Jones line definitely had a few questionable headsculpts, no doubt, but Mola Ram isn't one of them. He's such an improvement over the Raptor figure I used for Mola Ram as a kid (Hawk was my Indy, by the way). The likeness is excellent and the paintwork on the eyes even gives them a shadowy appearance.
* Mola Ram's helmet fits perfectly and features the horns and shrunken heads seen in the film. Pretty terrifying, right? Apparently the idea behind the cow skull for Mola Ram is that it would be considered sacrilegious due to the sacred nature of cows in Hinduism.
* Mola Ram also includes a fabric sash that can be placed over around his shoulders. It takes a bit of work to get it in place but it looks good. It's actually black on one side and red on the other, matching the rest of his outfit perfectly.
* Mola Ram comes with some great accessories but his only traditional "weapon" is this dagger which Mola Ram uses in the film. It has an unusual shape that matches the film prop fairly well, although the blade might be a bit too short.
* Mola Ram likes to push boundaries, so he also comes with a flaming heart. How cool is that? A flaming heart. Name one other action figure that comes with a flaming heart. Seriously, I'll wait. And I'll listen to this while I'm waiting.
* Every single carded figure came with a mystery relic in a cardboard crate (I didn't take a picture of the crate. Oops!) Mola Ram came with a Chinese guardian lion statue cast in a really nice red plastic. The artifacts were a really cool addition to the line and definitely made for cool background pieces or for more MacGuffins for further Indy adventures.
* My only negative with this figure is that his lower body, while not a "salt shaker" figure, is useless. His robe is fairly stiff and there's no movement there (he has swivel hips, but they'e completely impeded).
This is the first figure of Mola Ram I've reviewed on the site. For more figures from Hasbro's Indiana Jones line, check out the following:
30th Anniversary Set (SDCC 2011 Exclusive)
Indiana Jones with Ark
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run