- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
Saturday, December 3, 2016
Road to Rogue One: Princess Leia Organa from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Height: 5 1/4 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed hips, ball jointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel biceps, double hinged elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, a hinged neck, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: E-11 blaster, Defender sporting blaster, fabric robe, and a belt.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* Like other figures featuring actual fabric clothing in the Black Series, Leia does feature enhanced articulation which includes double hinged knees and elbows. Despite being quite small (and appropriately short), Leia feels sturdy and well made. She's actually very fun to pose and the fabric robe doesn't hinder her articulation much at all.
* Is there any hairstyle more iconic than Carrie Fisher's space buns? I think not and, if you think otherwise, I'll meet you behind the local comic shop in half an hour to settle our differences. Hasbro did a great job on these. The sculpt looks good and the color seems just right.
* Leia's boots look great, too. Do you ever even see Leia's boots in the movie? Yup, when she's lying down in her cell on the Death Star! The sculpt and texture on these looks great.
* Leia includes her Defender sporting blaster, and for some reason this really excited me! Princess Leia action figures have always sported a unique blaster pistol modeled after the one she uses at the beginning of A New Hope, even back in the largely inaccurate Kenner eras (vintage and POTF2). This looks dead on for the film prop.
* Anyone who has been following this line probably knows that the first time Hasbro showed this figure the headsculpt was atrocious. It looks a little better here, although not as improved as Hasbro discussed that it was going to be. From a bit of a distance and from many angles, it actually looks quite good. There's no mistaking who this is.
* But look at the face from another angle and it looks puffy and awkward. I've seen some beautiful repaints of this headsculpt, so I'm not sure if the problem is the headsculpt or the paintjob. The Black Series has sometimes delivered some slightly caricatured portraits, but this one doesn't seem to go in that direction. It just looks bizarre.
this poster might lead you to believe, Leia's robe wasn't really that form fitting. It did drape and hang a bit in certain places to truly give it the feel of a robe rather than a dress. In that way, the choice to give Leia an actual fabric robe makes sense. Still, there's something about this robe that makes it look "oversized" versus 'billowy." Tighter sleeves (maybe even an inner elastic cuff) really may have helped to cut down on the oversized look. The recent ANH Luke had the same problems, too.
* The other problem with this figure is the hood. The hood hangs out from the back and doesn't rest naturally at all down the figure's back. I think I would have just rather had either no hood or a hood permanently affixed in a resting position than what we got.
* And here's a picture of the hood up. Again, there's just something off about the way it drapes over the head. I really think an alternate head with a shaped fabric hood attached would have been a better choice. Kind of like Darth Maul, but actually a stiffer fabric piece pre-shaped. Or a thin wire in the hem to shape the hood. Either would have been preferable.
the outfit she wears in the Marvel miniseries. Honestly, that might be one of my favorite Leia outfits ever. Hasbro needs to catch up on Leia variants is what I'm saying.
I've only reviewed a few Princess Leia toys on here including the Black Series Princess Leia (Slave Outfit) and Princess Leia Organa (Boushh) and the micro Leia from the Micro Machines Classic Characters 2nd edition pack.
For more reviews of Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III figures, check out the following:
Captain Cassian Andor (Eadu)
Darth Vader (Emperor's Wrath)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial Death Trooper
Imperial Death Trooper, Captain Cassian Andor, and Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha) 3 pack
Imperial Hovertank Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Kylo Ren (SDCC 2016)
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (SDCC 2016)
Phase 1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Rey (Starkiller Base)
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Eadu)
Sergeant Jyn Erso (Jedha)
X-Wing Pilot Asty