You know The Mandalorian is a hit when Hasbro is really starting to roll out more side characters from the series. While we're not getting figures like we did in the past for the Prequel Trilogy releases, it's pretty cool that the Black Series is starting to flesh out the world of The Mandalorian with figures like Q9-0, AKA Zero. Voiced by Richard Ayoade, Zero has thus far only appeared in two episodes of The Mandalorian, most prominently in Chapter 6: The Prisoner where he was part of the squad of scoundrels tasked with rescuing a prisoner from a New Republic prisoner transport ship. The Mandalorian has had some great droids so far and while Zero isn't as memorable as IG-11 he definitely feels like a figure that would have been released if Kenner had been producing toys for the show back in the day. He's very reminiscent of 4-LOM, too, so here's another killer droid for your collection. Let's check out Q9-0 after the break...
Height: 5 7/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, swivel/hinge knees, swivel thighs, balljointed hips, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders w/ lateral "butterfly" hinges, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel forearms, swivel/hinge wrists, balljointed neck, balljointed head.
Accessories: Blaster rifle
Non-Scalper Price: $20-$23 dollars
* Zero is a pretty standard looking protocol droid from the neck down with a more bug-like head rather than the humanoid head of someone like C-3PO. As far as I can tell he doesn't reuse parts from any of the other previously released protocol droids and thus his body design is completely unique and designed with updated articulation. There's some rally nice weathering on Zero's body, also, to give him an aged, greasy appearance. He's also sporting some very cool webgear with lots of pouches attached.
* Zero stands out as a protocol droid thanks to having a more insect-like looking headsculpt. it's pretty cool looking and calls to mind plenty of other Star Wars droids while still looking unique. He's got oversized silver receptors and a long antenna poking out of the top of his head. I can almost hear his voice when looking at this guy!
* Besides just having a unique sculpt Q9-0 also has some interesting leg articulation. the articulation blends in quite nicely and is well designed. There seem to be clear pegs in the knee and ankle joints to give the impression of the hinges being more open down there.
* Like Boba Fett, Zero also carries an EE-3 carbine rifle. It's a great sculpt with some nice paint detail on the stock. It's a bit tough to get it in Zero's hands but it looks good once you get it seated properly.
* The front of the figure has excellent paintwork but the back is pretty much unpainted. There's not really much color variation on Zero back there in the show but the various brushing effects on his metal body should surely go all the way around.
This is the first figure of Q9-0 I've reviewed. For more figures from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase IV check out the following:
Princess Leia Organa (Endor)
Love the design of this guy, especially the insect like head.ReplyDelete
Yes, it definitely has an Original Trilogy feel to it and fits his personality.Delete