- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
Saturday, June 18, 2016
Micro Review: R2-D2 Playset from Micro Machines: Star Wars by Hasbro
Height: 6 1/4 inches tall
Accessories: Chewbacca and First Order Snowspeeder
Non-Scalper Price: $20 (but I've seen these as low as $4 dollars on clearance at Wal-Mart).
First Order Snowspeeder and Chewbacca!
*The First Order Snowspeeder (also known as a LightInfantry Utility Vehicle) is one of the coolest Micro Machines ever made. I hate that these things got cut from The Force Awakens because they look like they would have been flipping incredible. The sculpt and paint on this vehicle probably can stand alongside the best of the Star Wars Micro Machines Galoob ever released.
* Chewbacca did have a fair amount of screen time on Starkiller base so he's not a bad choice for this set. Of course if you're like me and still have your Galoob Micro Machines collection, then you probably have an entire army of Chewbacca microfigures. The paint color seems a bit off but I like the pose. It's a great action pose for playing with these little guys.
* The R2-D2 figure is really cool and I love how R2-D2 folds down in the back and front in the same manner as the First Order Stormtrooper set, which actually makes the play area rather spacious. It's easy to open (although a bit tricky to close).
* Since the set expands into two halves that fold down, I do like how there is a bridge of sorts that keeps both sides connected. It's kind of cool to allow a "legitimate" way for figures and vehicles to cross over to the other side of the playset.
*Let's start by looking at the left side of the set. We have...nothing! Yup, other than a bit of ice and snow sculpting there are a few small grates (they're just stickers) and a generator of some sort. That's it! Other than standing figures around, it's just not terribly exciting. It's also weird how everything is the same color of icy blue; a little variation in color would have been nice.
* Like every other playset released in Hasbro's first go at Micro Machines the only actual play feature is this clear plastic "flight wand" that you can put the Snowspeeder on to recreate it flying around Starkiller Base. There's a ridged disk that spins the flightstick around, allowing the attached ship to hover over the battlefield. It works well but it takes up a lot of space and I just don't find it that exciting to be honest.
* Let's look at the right side of the set and see what we can find. Again we have...almost nothing! Sure, there's a bit of debris and a few crates scattered around the uneven terrain, but that's about it. I do like it better than the left side but it's still pretty dull. Not one play feature at all? What was Hasbro thinking? Is Chewbacca just supposed to stand around and shoot at the Snowspeeder flying circles around his head? Apparently.
If you're interested in other Star Wars Micro Machines from both Hasbro and Galoob, you're in luck:
Micro Machines: Star Wars by Galoob (1994)
Classic Characters (2nd Edition)
Micro Machines: Star Wars by Hasbro (2015)
Droid Army Ambush
First Order Star Destroyer Playset
First Order Stormtrooper Playset
Millennium Falcon Playset
If you're interested in seeing more reviews of the characters from this set, I can hook you up:
I've reviewed a lot of Chewie product: The Smuggler's Bounty Funko POP! Chewbacca #63 [Flocked], the Black Series Phase II Chewbacca and Phase III Chewbacca, and the Hero Mashers Chewbacca.
I also looked at the Black Series R2-D2.
If you're into First Order Snowtroopers, I've reviewed both the basic First Order Snowtrooper
and the Toys R Us exclusive First Order Snowtrooper Officer.