Crystal Man-At-Arms from last week? Well, now we get his daughter, Frozen Teela! She's not related upcoming Frozen II, though (man, I am so flipping excited for that movie!) but is instead a variant of the standard Teela figure based on an episode of the Filmation animated series. In the 76th episode of He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, "The Ice Age Cometh," Teela gets frozen by Icer, so that's where this very scene specific variant comes from. Mattel made Icer in the Masters of the Universe Classics line but, sadly, it doesn't look like Super7 is going to get to him in their neo-vintage Masters of the Universe line. He would have been a good choice for a figure, though. Anyways, let's check out Frozen Teela after the break...
Height: 5 1/2 inches
Articulation: Swivel/ hinge hips, spring loaded swivel waist, swivel shoulders, and a swivel neck.
Accessories: Sword, shield, and an art card.
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* On the left is Frozen Teela while the standard Teela is on the right. Like with Crystal Man-At-Arms, this figure is a simple color variant of the standard figure. This is is simple Teela molded in a translucent blue plastic. What you see is what you get here, folks.
* Teela looks really cool. Yeah, she's supposed to be "frozen" but you could use her for all sorts of different purposes in your MOTU collection. Astral projection Teela (since she does become the Sorceress later on in some canons), the ghost of Teela, a holographic projection of Teela, and so on. Seriously, translucent toys are just fun and for this one, at least Super7 went with an actual variant rather than just making something up.
*Teela still has a spring-loaded waist like the standard release, though this time you can see the spring inside. Aha! The magic has been revealed!
* I like that Super7 at least gave Teela paint applications for her eyes and mouth. It actually adds a bit more character to the figure rather than making her just a simple translucent blue figure.
* Teela comes with the same two weapons as the standard figure, although they're now translucent blue, too! She's got her sword and shield, ready for battle.
* I really am quite fond of the art cards included with these figures.
They kind of mimic
the look of the minicomics in the vintage packaging but they're a simple
cardstock art print. On the front is a really cool image of Teela from Emiliano Santalucia while the back features three images of the
evolution of the character from toy to cartoon star.
* I have the same problems with this figure's pose that I had with the standard figure. First,
the legs are posed in such a way that Teela has to take a
very wide stance to stand. Second, while this
Teela retains the spell casting left hand of the vintage figure it feels
largely unwarranted here. The Filmation Teela doesn't cast spells. The
left arm should have been better suited for using the included accessories.
* I wish Super7 would have given us some different art for this variant. I know they're trying to get some more mileage out of molds, especially now that Mattel is putting a hold on this line so that it doesn't effect the sales of the Masters of the Universe Origins toys next year, but c'mon! A little extra effort would have been nice!
Was Teela one of your first loves? If so, check out my reviews of a few Teela toys such as the M.U.S.C.L.E. green Teela and the standard M.O.T.U.S.C.L.E Teela, the Mega Construx Teela from the Battle for Eternia Collection and Teela from Battle Bones, the ReAction Teela (Shiva), the neo-vintage Teela, and Super7's Ultimate Teela.
For more Masters of the Universe figures from Super7, check out the following:
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess