Dimensions: 4 1/4th x 3 1/2 inches closed
Includes: Mighty Max, Doom Dragon, Ravendark, grappling hook.
Year of Release: 1992
* The exterior of the Doom Dragon resembles the head of a dragon. The scales on the top of his head are colored different from the rest of the body while his yellow eyes are the tips of two stalactites inside the set.The Mighty Max Doom Zones also had a cool "MM" logo on them.
* The Doom Dragon opens up like most of the Doom Zone sets so that the top of the head is the back wall of the set and the bottom is the base of the set. The set stays up quite well on its own, opening to reveal the caverns of the evil wizard Ravendark. There was a minicomic on the back of the set that showed off all the features of the playset and set the scene for Max's adventures here.
* Every set comes with Mighty Max and, in the earlier sets, the Max you get is rather random from what I have found. This set came with Max in a purple hat with his arms up against his head. I've always assumed that Max was taunting the bad guys, probably wiggling his fingers and sticking out his tongue. Max is only around 3/4ths of an inch so he's super small.
* Max's primary antagonist is Ravendark, an evil wizard in a black cloak. The minicomic shows him with a pale face and red eyes but the microfigure keeps him faceless and hidden. He's supposed to have a sword but the microfigure makes it seem like he has a big purple blade for a hand. He is quite cool, though. He's also hinged at the waist so he can sit in the chair in his study.
* The third figure in the set is the Doom Dragon. The Doom Dragon looks pretty frightening in the minicomic but the actual figure itself is a bit doofy. He's not the worst microfigure but he's not great, either. The paint apps on his face are fairly clean, though the eyes don't contribute to his menace in any way.
* Something really cool about the set is this little rock wall in the front. It actually rotates, allowing Max access (or escape) from the Doom Dragon Doom Zone!
* On the main floor there is a small cave for the Doom Dragon to hide in. The entrance is hidden among the rocks of the cave and inside you'll find a few piles of bones (they're stickers) of the Doom Dragon's previous meals.
* Also on the ground floor is a pit filled with some sort of acid. The stickers are really colorful and they shows off the skeleton of an unfortunate passerby who has fallen into the pit.
* To escape from the lower level of the cave up to the higher levels Max has to climb up on this bridge and use the grappling hook. The grappling hook can be removed (so make sure it's there if you buy a loose set) and it attaches to a hole in the floor of the second level.
* The second floor has an old coffin, a few sculpted skeletons, and a sticker showing a pit of lava.
* The top floor is my favorite. It's Ravendark's library and features shelves filled with arcane texts, a wooden chair, and a lectern presumably holding Ravendark's book. In the minicomic on the back of the package Max is depicted as hurling the book into lava below to destroy Ravendark and the Doom Dragon.
* Everything fits nicely inside of the Doom Zone for storage, too. There are specific spots for Ravendark and Mighty Max to plug in, the Doom Dragon fits inside of his cave, and the grappling hook can store in a small ridge.
I like Mighty Max Slays the Doom Dragon. It's not as good as some of the other series 1 Doom Zones nor is it as intricate as many of the Doom Zones that came after it, but it's still a Great set. Mighty Max was an amazing line and it still stands as one of the best microfigure lines of all time. When Mattel rebooted Polly Pocket a few years ago I had high hopes that we would see Mighty max again. With so many toys on selves right now like Grossery Gang, Treasure X, Goo Hit Zu, and others, a weird line like Mighty Max seems like it could definitely be popular. I love how each set was like a combination horror/ adventure movie crammed down into a pocket sized plaything.
Mighty Max Blows Up Dino Lab
Mighty Max Conquers the Palace of Poison
Mighty Max Escapes from Skull Dungeon
Mighty Max Challenges Lava Beast
Mighty Max Hammers Ax-Man
Mighty Max Tangles with Lockjaw
Brain Face and Wraptile
Rat Trap and Vampyre