- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
Friday, October 23, 2020
The Dawn of 31 Days of Toy Terror: Jeebs from Men in Black by Galoob
Height: Jeebs comes to 5 1/4ths inches but the top of the clock measures at 7 1/4ths inches
Articulation: Swivel weapons rack, hinged newspaper page, swivel left shoulder, rotating "heads," and swivel "exploding" head.
Accessories: 4 guns.
Year of Release: 1997
* While most action figure packaging includes a disclaimer that "Product color and contents may differ from photo shown" Galoob's picture of Jeebs has some serious differences from the toy included. The package shows Jeebs with three vac-metal guns but in the package we get four gray plastic guns. The stickers and color of the desk are also very different. Interesting stuff, for sure.
* Jeebs is a very interesting action figure as he's sculpted as part of his desk. He's a really interesting piece although if you look at him you'll realize it doesn't make much sense. How does he get in there? Where is he supposed to be sitting? Jeebs is one of those action figures that is truly built around an action feature. That being said, he really stands out on the shelf and he's loaded with interesting features that definitely make him worth taking a look at.
* Jeebs' desk is supposed to be the counter of his pawn shop since in the film he's a pawnbroker who deals in alien weapons. The front of the case is just a sticker but it shows off lots of random junk you would see at a pawnshop or thrift store such as trophies, a bugle, a VHS camcorder, a boombox, watches, rings, a camera, a mounted fish, a trophy, binoculars, a flask, some mounted butterflies, a flintlock pistol, a pearl necklace, and a semi-automatic pistol. Jeebs is also holding a newspaper with details on horse races while smoking on a big ol' stogie. He honestly feels like he could be a Seinfeld character more than a Men in Black figure.
* He's got more stickers on the sides, a rat crawling through the desk (which functions as a knob to reveal his secret weapons cache), and a desk loaded with pizza, napkins, a mug, and some other junk. Slices of cheese, maybe?
* Jeebs' third head shows him in the middle of regenerating. It actually kind of looks like what Jeebs' head looked like in the film although the purple color and visible brain seem to be made up for the toy. I like that he's still smoking, too. Did the cigarette regenerate somehow?
* When you spin the rat that is coming out of the side of Jeebs' desk it reveals four guns. The shotgun like weapon looks familiar although the rest of them may just be made up for the toyline. They're all cool sculpts, though, and they are easily removed from the weapons rack via simple pegs.
* I didn't own this toy as a 13 year old who collected action figures when the movie came out and part of it was because of the headsculpt. This looks nothing like Tony Shaloub. I have no idea how Galoob came up with this headsculpt but it's so far off from the Jeebs we saw in the movie.
* Because Jeebs is built around the action feature he's not really a figure himself but just a torso with arms attached to the base. Heck, his right arm is not mobile. It actually looks bizarrely oversized, too.
* While the package advertises that Jeebs "holds removable alien weapons" I'm not seeing it. His right hand just cannot fit these weapons into it, which is kind of disappointing. I guess Jeebs was supposed to be shooting back at the Men in Black or something?
This is the first action figure of Jack Jeebs I've reviewed on the site.