- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- A Tour of the DC Universe Podcast
Sunday, February 18, 2018
Road to Solo: Collection XV (1997/1998) from Micro Machines Star Wars by Galoob
Includes, from left to right: V-35 Landspeeder, Tibanna Gas Refinery, and the Outrider.
Original Release Year: 1998
Original Retail Price: $5-7 dollars
* Here's a quick look at the packaging. This is the style of packaging that Galoob switched to for the 1997 line during the year of the Special Editions and they kept it throughout 1998 until the line switched its focus to Episode 1.
* Here's the back of the package, showing off all of the models that were available in the 3 packs at this time.
First up is the V-35 Landspeeder. The V-35 was released earlier in the line in black and green as the Lars Family Landspeeder in Collection X, a vehicle that does appear briefly in the original film. The V-35 this model is based on zooms past the camera in one of the early Mos Eisley approach scenes. It's a great model with excellent weathering and paintwork.
The Tibanna Gas Refinery is from the Special Edition of The Empire Strikes Back and replaced a Cloud Car in one of the Cloud City establishing shots. This is a really cool looking model and one that I would wager many Star Wars fans may not readily recognize. It's kind of a blink and you'll miss it vehicle/ space station and a pretty slick addition to the line.
* One of the slightly frustrating things about this model is that there is no way to stand this one up without using one of the clear plastic stands. Unfortunately, Galoob did not include stands with this set which is quite odd. I don't remember them dropping them during the 1997 line so they had to go missing from packages during 1998.
Dash Rendar was one of the new characters introduced in the 1996 multimedia entertainment project Shadows of the Empire and his ship, the Outrider (or one extremely similar to it) appears in the sky above Mos Eisley. The Outrider has a pretty interesting appearance and this model captures it well. The paint applications are nice, particularly for such a small ship.
* The Outrider was released earlier in Collection III of the Shadows of the Empire Micro Machines series. The earlier Outrider is on the left and features fewer paint applications than the 1998 model. I'm glad Galoob released the later version with the cannons and other significant details on the hull painted.
For more Star Wars Micro Machines from both Galoob and Hasbro, check out the following:
Micro Machines: Star Wars by Galoob (1994)
Classic Characters (2nd Edition)
Star Destroyer/ Space Fortress Transforming Action Set
Micro Machines: Star Wars Episode I by Galoob (1999)
Collection V: Gungans
Naboo Temple Ruins
Micro Machines: Star Wars by Hasbro (2015)
Assault on Scarif
Droid Army Ambush
Endor Forest Battle
Fight the Imperial Might
First Order Star Destroyer Playset
First Order Stormtrooper Playset
Millennium Falcon Playset
Micro Machines: Star Wars Blind Bags by Galoob
Micro Machines: Star Wars Gold Series by Hasbro (2016)
Kylo Ren Playcase