Joker Beast was a pretty good mount, Ace the Bathound was a fairly weak release. Krypto utilizes the same body as Ace only with a new harness/ saddle combination. Ready to check out Krypto the Superdog? Let's take a closer look after the break...
Dimensions: 4 1/2 inches tall, 11 inches long
Accessories: Cape/ harness
Non-Scalper Price: $20 dollars
* Krypto is standing at the front while Ace is standing at the rear. The figures are exactly the same sculpt with different paint jobs and different saddles. Like Ace the Bathound, Krypto is hollow and non-articulated, similar to the vintage Battle Cat.
* Having Krypto the Superdog in all white with red eyes definitely makes him look very, very different than Ace. Honestly, I didn't realize they were the same sculpt until I got them in hand. He is cool looking with some rather vicious looking teeth. With Krypto being as huge as he is here he's inevitable going to be compared to Ghost from Game of Thrones. He looks insanely fierce!
* While Ace's saddle was extremely cheap and flimsy, Krypto's harness and cape combo is rather sturdy. I like how Krypto's harness looks kind of like a collar and serves as the anchoring point for the cape. Yes, rather than a true saddle Krypto features a slightly tattered cape that hangs over his back. It's shaped a bit to allow Superman to sit atop Krypto.
* I've had a difficult time keeping Batman on Ace but Superman seems to stay on Krypto quite well. I wasn't expecting it but the shaped cape and Superman's leg grip definitely help keep him atop his mount.
* Like Ace, Krypto feels hollow which makes him feel kind of cheap. Furthermore, he
has these weird hollow indents on his legs. Why? They just look odd and
make the figure seem cheap, but not in a classic sort of way.
It turns out that this is actually the first toy of Krypto I've ever reviewed. For more DC Primal Age figures check out the following:
Ace the Bathound
Batman (Grey & Black)
The Joker Beast
Mister Freeze "Ice Mode"