- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- Hokey Halloween Horror!!!
- My Batgirl Collection!
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Dark Knight
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Gallery
Sunday, April 3, 2016
Action Figure Review: Rorschach from Watchmen by Mattel
Height: 6 5/8ths inches
Articulation: Hinged ankles, hinged knees, swivel thighs, H-hinged hips, swivel waist, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel biceps, hinged elbows, swivel wrists, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Grappling hook gun, display stand, and an art print.
Original Retail Price: $25 dollars
* This is a really fantastic Rorschach sculpt. Not only is everything pretty spot on with Rorschach's hat, coat, mask, and scarf, but the colors are quite striking. While Watchmen deals with some incredibly heavy subject matter, the book uses a very classic comic book palette for the art work, thus I'm really glad that Rorschach's coat isn't just dark, leathery brown. It actually looks like something from a comic. The classic mask also looks quite good here. Mattel made a good choice in selecting a facial pattern.
* The incredible paint work isn't just on the great shading on Rorschach's jacket but also on the awesome pinstripes on his purple pants and the excellent weathering on his shoes. You can almost hear Rorschach narrating what he's up to as you're looking at this figure.
* One thing I really like about this line is that every figure comes with a display stand. It's a simple disc and peg stand that comes trapped in the package with him and the presentation is awesome. The word "Watchmen" is sculpted on the base with a yellow disc behind it. It looks great and functions really well. I wish the DC Universe Signature Collection had come with stands; I'm always in favor of stuff like this.
the Comedian, so make sure to check that out, but I'll mention the unique elements here:
+ The Rorschach print is new and features a bio on the other side.
+The Doomsday Clock on the front of the package is set at less than 20 minutes until midnight while his side panels feature the second part of the "Who Watches the Watchmen?" mural and a Rorschach test inkblot design.
There's not much packaging worth keeping, but this collector friendly packaging is pretty grand.
* While Rorschach is built on a DCUC body, he seems to have so many new parts that you'll barely recognize that. Unfortunately, while his trench coat looks incredible, it makes getting any motion out of his hips a fruitless effort. Secondly, since parts were reused it means Rorschach is as tall as everyone else when he really should be a good deal shorter. I believe he's listed as being 5' 6".
His arrest and his unwillingness to compromise leading him to challenge Doctor Manhattan.
I've reviewed four other figures in this series so far: The Comedian, Nite Owl, Ozymandias, and Dr. Manhattan. Only one figure left to review in the series...