Sheev Palpative (AKA Darth Sidious, AKA Big Papa Juicemaker) wasn't very expensive. Honestly, I ordered him online for less than I would have paid retail. The Emperor is one of those figures that I initially passed on but then recently decided I wanted to own. I mean, I'm sure we'll get a Darth Sidious at some point but who knows if and when Hasbro will ever revisit a Return of the Jedi styled Emperor in the 6-inch scale? Emperor Palpatine is a very middle of the road Black Series figure and presents a great example of what Hasbro needs to do to improve this line. Ready for a closer look at Sheev? Then join me after the break...
Height: 5 7/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, double hinged knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed hips, ball jointed waist, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel biceps, double hinged elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, hinged neck, and a ball jointed head.
Accessories: Cloak and walking stick.
Non-Scalper Price: $20-$22 dollars
* For an old man, Palpatine is more articulated than most other figures in this line. Besides all of the basic stuff, Palpatine also has double hinged elbows with a bicep swivel. That's incredible and completely unexpected! I wish more figures in the series had those, but as it allows Sheev to put his hands together in all sorts of wicked poses I'm in favor of them.
* Cloth goods are definitely a polarizing subject among action figure fans. Some folks love them and some folks dislike them with the fiery passionate hate that Anakin reserved only for the sands of Tatooine, but I find myself somewhere in the middle. I love soft goods when used for cloaks and robes and Palpatine's looks pretty nice. It's a little baggier but overall much nicer than what a full body plastic robe would have offered. It doesn't inhibit Palpatine's movement at all and drapes nicely over his smaller frame. The material seems to be of a fairly high quality and even has a plastic clasp that keeps things shut. This is definitely an improvement over the "salt and pepper shaker" Emperor Palpatine figures we got in the vintage and POTF2 lines.
* Other than his robe, which is vital to his appearance, Palpatine's sole accessory is his cane. An unidentified Sith artifact which Sheev uses to appear weaker and frailer than he is, the cane is designed to accommodate him in a bit of a hunched over position. The cane is really nicely sculpted and fits perfectly in either hand.
* I'm going to address the sculpt in a second (I'm not a fan) but the paintwork on the eyes and skin looks pretty good. The eyes are well detailed and Sheev's skin has a creepy pallor to it.
* This just does not look like a Return of the Jedi era Emperor Palpatine to me. It doesn't. The brow looks too large and the wrinkles under the eyes just aren't right. It looks more like Gary Oldman's Dracula without the weird hair. Honestly, it's been awhile since Hasbro has released a good sculpt of the Emperor and I'm sad that they failed again.
If you're looking for more figures of the Emperor, please check out my review of the Hero Mashers two-pack with Yoda Vs. Emperor Palpatine.
I've reviewed plenty of other figures from Star Wars: The Black Series, including:
Star Wars: The Black Series (6 inch) by Hasbro (2013)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit)
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)
Princess Leia (Slave Outfit)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase II (6 inch) by Hasbro (2014)
Boba Fett (Prototype Armor)
Clone Commander Cody
Clone Trooper Captain
Clone Trooper Sergeant
Han Solo (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III (6 inch) by Hasbro (2015)
First Order Flametrooper
First Order General Hux
First Order Snowtrooper Officer
First Order Special Forces TIE Fighter
First Order Stormtrooper
First Order TIE Fighter Pilot
Imperial Shock Trooper
Kylo Ren (Starkiller Base)
1 Clone Trooper Commander, Phase II Clone Trooper, Imperial
Stormtrooper, and First Order ---Stormtrooper Officer four pack
Poe Dameron and First Order Riot Control Stormtrooper
Rey (Jakku) & BB-8
Sandtrooper Sergeant, Crimson Stormtrooper, Lieutenant OXIXO, and R2-Q5
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess