The Masterverse hits continue as today I'm checking out Faker and, wow, let me tell you, this is probably the best Faker figure released to date. The New Eternia figures have released new versions of the MOTU cast inspired by concept designs, packaging art, and other related pieces of MOTU media and Faker is largely inspired by the magenta armor wearing Faker on the vintage cross sell art (that's the image of the figures available on the back of the package that says "Collect them all!"). We've seen a magenta wearing Faker a few times previously but this figure is just superb. Seriously, there are so many things Matte did right with this guy and I'm anxious to show them off. Let's take a look at this evil, robotic He-Man imposter after the break...
Height: 7 3/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, boot swivels, double hinged knees, thigh swivels, balljointed hips, swivel waist, balljointed mid-torso, swivel/hinge shoulders, bicep swivels, double hinged elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, and a barbell jointed head.
Accessories: 4 interchangeable hands, sword, chest armor, and axe.
Non-Scalper Price: $22-$23 dollars
* While he does use the basic He-Man body, yeah, Faker just looks oh so cool with that mottled blue skin (it's not just one solid color) and that very eye-catching magenta version of Skeletor's harness. There are even some additional paint applications on the bone design on the harness and a metallic dry brushing effect on Faker's wrist guards and his belt. The colors just all go together well, making Faker a really impressive looking figure with a wonderfully unusual color scheme.
* The portrait is awesome, too. This doesn't just look like a repainted He-Man headsculpt; it looks odder and crueler. There's a bit of a scowl and the all white eyes are just creepy.
* One of the best details is the robotic control panel hidden underneath Faker's armor. On the vintage toy this was a sticker while most recent versions have used a tampographic stamp. Guess what? This one is fully sculpted and each little button and control piece is painted. Wow! That's amazing! This is seriously cool and helps to make this the greatest Faker figure ever.
* Here's a shot of Faker's back to show off the bolts and artificial looking musculature on his shoulders and arms and the connection ports on his back. This guy is far more than just a repaint with magenta armor!
* Both Faker's trunks and his boots have a nice mixture of purple and black, really adding to the complexity of the figure. Mattel really put a lot of detail into this figure and even something as basic as the reused boot mold looks fantastic here.
* Faker has the same articulation as most other Masterverse figures, so nothing really new here. It feels very modern with double jointed knees and elbows and most everything has a good range of motion to it. There are quite a few new pieces here (pretty much the entire top half of the figure) but everything meshes nicely.
* Faker has some swappable hands for mixing things up a evil right hand fist, a pair of dastardly gripping hands, and a left hand of doom for slapping the tar out of the Heroic Warriors.
* Faker's orange axe has seen better days. It looks similar to He-Man's classic axe at a glance but there is a lot of scuffing here where the orange paint is rubbing off, showing the steel beneath. There's also a part where a large part of the blade covering has been chipped away, showing the raw blade underneath. It's a really interesting accessory Faker and he looks awesome holding it.
* There's a loop on the back of Faker's armor so his sword can fit inside.
What characters do you most want to see New Eternia takes on? I want to see a New Eternia Teela, Moss Man, and Rio Blast!
For all of my Faker reviews check out The Royal Junkyard!
For more Masterverse reviews check out the following: