Castle Grayskull is perhaps the most recognizable action figure playset of all time and now it's also one of the smallest. This year Super Impulse toys has released a new series of World's Smallest Masters of the Universe toys and Castle Grayskull is the most interesting of the releases. It's a pretty faithful recreation of the classic 1982 playset that's only a little more than 2 inches tall. The World's Smallest brand has put out some pretty neat stuff but this one definitely is one of the coolest releases they've done. For my next mini marathon of releases I'm going to be checking out series 2 of the World's Smallest Masters of the Universe, beginning with Castle Grayskull. Ready to venture into this ancient fortress of mystery and power? Then join me after the break...
Height: 2 1/8ths inches
Articulation: Hinged jawbridge and hinged playset half.
Non-Scalper Price: $6-$8 dollars
* The packaging itself is not collector friendly but it does display the castle well. While the other World's Smallest Masters of the Universe figures have faux blister cards with them, Castle Grayskull just comes on its own.
* Interestingly, if you look closely at this version of Castle Grayskull, you'll see that it's based on the Masters of the Universe Origins design rather than the vintage toy. I don't think that's a big deal as I really like that sculpt, but some folk may find it a bit odd. It's a rather impressive sculpt with a simple paintjob, which is exactly like the larger Castle Grayskull playsets. The black paint apps on the eyes and nose of the castle really do look very evocative of the vintage sets famously random paint patterns.
* Flip it around and you've got more excellent detail and a few more paint applications on the various roofed parts of the caste. It's really nice work for such a small set.
* The working hinge in the middle of the set means you can open up the castle and display it at a 90 degree angle or a full 180, like shown in the picture to the left. The handle is noticeable here, too, so if you have an action figure you want to give a Castle Grayskull accessory too they can tote it easily.
* The jawbridge opens, too. It's hinged and folds right down.
* It's barren in there, though. There's nothing inside. I wasn't expecting a full playset or anything but maybe the floors or the dungeon grate sticker would have been cool.
If you're a Masters of the Universe fan or just a fan of 1980s toys and popular culture, this is a pretty neat item. It's an unusual piece, but really well made for what it is. At around $6 or $7 dollars, it's a Great little extra for your collection or a neat stocking stuffer for someone who loves Masters of the Universe. Heck, it might be a good gift for someone who has fond memories of Masters of the Universe and receiving a Castle Grayskull as a kid but who doesn't really want a full sized castle. It's a fun novelty and it makes a neat accessory. There surely has to be some comic or Filmation storyline where Skeletor shrank Castle Grayskull or something, right?
Are you in the market for a Castle Grayskull of your own? I've also checked out the MOTU Origins Castle Grayskull and the Mysteries of Grayskull set, the M.U.S.C.L.E. green Castle Grayskull, the Hallmark Keepsake Castle Grayskull, the Masters of the Universe Minis Castle Grayskull, the series 1 Eternia Minis Buzz-Off, Horde Zombie He-Man, Jitsu, Man-At-Arms, Ram Man, Skeletor, Trap Jaw, and He-Man, who each come packaged in a mini plastic Castle Grayskull, the Mega Construx Castle Grayskull and the "By the Power of Grayskull" set, the Colorforms Deluxe Play Set which has a Castle Grayskull background, and the Masters of the Universe Classics Castle Grayskull.
For more World's Smallest Masters of the Universe reviews check out the following:
Probably the only Castle Greyskull I'll ever get, simply for space reasons. So much fun.ReplyDelete
This is definitely the tiny house version of Castle Grayskull.Delete
Nice! I'll have to keep an eye out. I bought the Christmas ornament last year to use with those.ReplyDelete
That Christmas ornament of Grayskull is beautiful. It sits in my collection for most of the year on display but two weeks ago it got to take it's place on the tree.Delete
Would make for great set piece for dioramas involving giants like Procrustus, Megator, and Tytus. Maybe even Galactus invading Eternia to consume it.ReplyDelete
Perhaps Spinal Tap is getting ready to go on their Masters of the Universe themed tour and someone confused feet with inches again?Delete
"I think that the problem may have been that there was a Castle Grayskull model on the stage that was in danger of being crushed by a Trollan."