- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
Friday, May 25, 2018
Statue Review: Supergirl Returns from DC Comics Bishoujo by Kotobukiya
Height: 8 3/4 inches (with a 1/4 inch base)
Arranged by: Shunya Yamashita
Sculpted by: ke (comaccow)
Painted by: K2 (GILL GILL)
Non-Scalper Price: $80- $85 dollars
*On the left is the new Supergirl Returns statue while the original Supergirl (with Streaky) is on the right. As you can see, the poses are incredibly different. The styles are a bit different too as the Bishoujo series has become less "stylized" over the years. I actually like the pose on the newer figure a bit more than the original although the base is certainly a bit more bland. A costume change would have been more than welcome, too.
* Kicking things off you gotta talk about the pose, with this being a statue and all. It's actually a really great pose. The pose itself isn't incredibly dynamic but Kara's cape and hair definitely still express motion thanks to the way they are positioned. This is a great, classic looking Supergirl that should really please most Supergirl fans.
* Kotobukiya also always does beautiful work on their hairsculpts. They use plastics that allow for a high level of fine detail while not being brittle enough to break. Supergirl's hair is well sculpted, detailed, textured, and "posed" as if it is blowing in the breeze.
* The sculpt is excellent and while I would have liked to have seen a different costume here (I really like Supergirl's Rebirth costume but even the New 52 look would have offered something new) I can't fault the quality of the work. Kotobukiya is always absolutely incredible in the quality of what they offer, particularly in regards to sculpting fine detail and paint quality.
* The cape, like the hair, also brings the sense of motion to the statue by being sculpted as if it is blowing out away from the body. Again, Kotobukiya always does such a wonderful job sculpting material and fabrics while also adding subtle paint shading to make them come to life.
* First off, I'm impressed by the wrinkles in the fabric at Kara's elbows and wrists. It's a small detail but it shows how much awesomeness sculptor ke (comaccow) puts into their work. Second, the lightly painted nails look great. I really cannot say that I can recall a less than stellar paint application from Kotobukiya on any statue I've purchased from them.
* The same level of detail is seen in Kara's boots. Not only do they look slick but you can see the material realistically "move" around the ankles.
* Originally Kotobukiya's bishoujo statues had some really cool bases but for the last few years the bases have gotten kind of dull. While Supergirl's base is an "S" logo, which is better than a blank base, it's still kind of dull overall. Maybe the top of a building or something would have been just a bit more exciting.
Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn have had second versions released and were given new costumes, so why not Supergirl? That's a strange decision, especially considering the number of different costumes she has worn over the years. I would have loved to have seen the hot pants version, the Rebirth version, the New 52 version, or even one based on the TV costume. She's Great, but maybe a bit too repetitive.
Looking for more Supergirl? I've also reviewed the Lil Bombshells standard Supergirl minifigure and the "Noir" Supergirl variant, the DC Multiverse TV Supergirl, the single packed DC Nano Metalfigs Supergirl and the Pack B 5-figure set, the DC Comics Icons Rebirth Supergirl, and the the Supergirl from the DC Super Hero Girls Action Pack six figure set!
For more DC Comics Boshoujo statues from Kotobukiya, check out the following:
Armored Wonder Woman
Harley Quinn [New 52 Ver.]
Harley Quinn [New 52 Ver.] Limited Edition