- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
- Evil-Lyn's Dungeon
- The Fright Zone
- The Wonderdome
Thursday, June 23, 2016
Action Figure Review: Granamyr (Green Power-Con Exclusive) from Masters of the Universe Classics by Mattel
Height: 14 inches (seated)
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, swivel/hinge knees, swivel hips, swivel tail, swivel torso, swivel/hinge wings, swivel shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, and a ball-jointed head.
Non-Scalper Price: $110 dollars
* Overall, I like Granamyr's articulation. If you're not accustomed to the character you might be shocked to know that he really doesn't sit or move like a normal dragon. He's an odd, pot-bellied figure that is intended to sit flat with his knees up. Considering that's meant to retain such a pose he does have some nice movement, particularly in his head, elbows, and wrists.
*Granamyr is amazing! Again, it's the same sculpt we saw on the original figure but it still looks incredible. There's just so much character in the face. The somewhat complex paintwork also really adds a lot to the appeal. Granamyr doesn't look flat and "toyish" at all; he's rather life-like. You know, for a fantasy toy of a dragon.
* Granamyr is rocking a very Sword and Sorcery inspired helmet. A very large Sword and Sorcery helmet to be precise. The helmet actually looks like a piece of metal thanks to some excellent drybrushing and subtle markings while the ancient weathered horns appear to be chipping a bit. This is a darn fine detail that definitely gives the figure a bit more personality.
* The paintwork is really good on Granamyr. I own the red version but the green version as the one I wanted the most, so I'm rather pleased that he turned out so well. There really are so many subtle color variations on the body, particularly on the stomach. This is some of the best paintwork I've seen on a MOTUC figure. It's really detailed and adds a ton of life to the toy.
* I figures I should give you a close up look at ol' Granamyr's feet, too. I love how Mattel handled his claws and scaly feet. They did an excellent job here and the paintwork does the sculpt justice. The toes aren't actually shop but they certainly look as if they could be.
* Here's a look at the back so you can see Granamyr's epic tale, his cool spikes, rather small wings, and really great scales. The Four Horsemen really got the chance to flex their creature sculpting muscle here and it shows on ever inch.
* As I was checking this guy out I was definitely reminded that he lacks swivel/hinge shoulders. What a strange omission, particularly considering that so many of the other joints are ball joints or swivel/hinge joints.
* Don't worry! Granamyr isn't broken. When you buy the figure he comes disassembled in a box and you simply snap the pieces together. Unfortunately, the mid-torso doesn't snap together very tightly. It seems like there's a problem with the mold as I've read of other collectors having the same problem. It's not a deal breaker as the figure will look fine and function well but it does tend to come off when you try to rotate the torso.
I own the original red Granamyr but I guess I never reviewed him on here. I have reviewed the other two Power-Con 2016 exclusive figures, though: Beast Man (Blood Red Henchman) and Camo Khan.
I've also reviewed plenty of other MOTUC figures:
"Buzz Saw" Hordak
End of Wars Weapon Pak
The Fighting Foe Men
Galactic Protector He-Man
Galactic Protector She-Ra
Heads of Eternia
Laser Power He-Man & Laser Light Skeletor
Loo-Kee and Kowl
Mara of Primus
Ninja Warrior/ Ninjor
Rokkon & Stonedar
Rotar and Twistoid
Sky High with Jet Sled
Snake Armor He-Man and Battle Armor King Hsss
Spirit of Grayskull
Spirit of Hordak
Terror Claws Skeletor & Flying Fists He-Man
The Unnamed One
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)
URG, I wanted him, but he's SO HUGE and the red one has been sitting around in the dark of my closet. I couldn't bring myself to buy another to sit around, even if he looks AMAZING. Wish this had been the basic one we got.ReplyDelete
I'm still looking for a place for my second Granamyr, too. Right now he's chilling on the floor in my toy room and my little one loves to visit him. He freaked her out at first but now she likes him.Delete