- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- The Batgirl Library
- Other Reviews and Stuff
- Barbecue17's Trading Post!
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- A Tour of the DC Universe Podcast
Tuesday, December 1, 2015
Action Figure Review: Rey (Jakku) & BB-8 from Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III by Hasbro
Height: 5 5/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, swivel/hinge knees, swivel thighs, ball jointed hips, ball jointed waist, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, and a ball jointed head.
Articulation: double ball jointed neck
Non-Scalper Price: $18-$20 dollars
* BB-8 isn't just a solid piece of plastic: She/he has a really nice double ball jointed dome on top of his/her body. You can actually get some cool poses and, thanks to some internal weighting, BB-8 stands up pretty well on his/her own. I love the paint job on this figure! BB-8 is totally the reason this set, and I'm sure the reason many others have bought it, too.
* The likeness to actress Daisy Ridley isn't perfect here but the figure certainly seems to capture one of her two looks quite well (I personally prefer her speeder look at this point but I'm sure we'll see that figure down the road). The costume is simple but seems very specifically tailored for her purposes on a hot, desert world. If you're seeing elements of Luke and Anakin's outfits worn during their youths on Tatooine then you're not alone. Whether we're being misled or we're right on the money, we're absolutely supposed to visually connect Rey to Luke Skywalker in the original film (and, yes, probably Anakin in TPM). The detail on her various wraps look great. My wife used this figure along with pictures of Rey to craft a pretty killer Halloween costume, I might add.
* While the overall outfit is a bit bland (though the same could be said for Luke's farm boy costume) there are a couple neat details. I love the large pouch attached to her belt. It seems very functional and utilitarian. It kind kind of reminds me of something she might have picked up at a military surplus store on Jakku.
* There's nothing wrong with the staff itself. It's a nice accessory and looks great whether being carried with one hand or two. It's the strap that bugs me. It's not very functional. Unlike the shoulder straps on Bossk's weapon or the Sandtrooper rifles, this one is sculpted and made from a firmer plastic. A separate piece of more pliable plastic would have been a better decision.
* The Black Series hasn't always had the best luck with human faces and Rey is another miss. She certainly doesn't look bad by any stretch of the imagination (unlike the single boxed Poe Dameron who likes like he's hopped up on PCP or something) but she doesn't bear a great likeness to Daisy Ridley. I think the hairline is a bit off.
My guess without knowing anything other than what is in the current novels and having seen the trailers? Rey is Leia and Han's daughter who was lost as a very young child on the planet of Jakku shortly before the battle of Jakku. She was always assumed to ahve died and her loss caused problems between Han and Leia. When Rey finally meets her parents, she'll learn that her real name is Jaina Organa-Solo. Oh, and she can totally use the Force and trains with her uncle Luke. Just a guess, anyways. While Rey's likeness isn't perfect, she's still a good figure. Throw in BB-8, however, and this set really skyrockets. This is a Great set thanks to the little droid's presence. What are your thoughts on who Rey is? Tell us in the comments section!
I've reviewed quite a few Star Wars: The Black Series figures, including:
Star Wars: The Black Series (6 inch) by Hasbro (2013)
Luke Skywalker (Bespin Outfit)
Luke Skywalker (X-Wing Pilot)
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Revenge of the Sith)
Princess Leia (Slave Outfit)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase II (6 inch) by Hasbro (2014)
Boba Fett (Prototype Armor)
Clone Commander Cody
Clone Trooper Captain
Clone Trooper Sergeant
Han Solo (Stormtrooper Disguise)
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase III (6 inch) by Hasbro (2015)
First Order Stormtrooper
I've also reviewed plenty of other Star Wars stuff:
Star Wars by Kenner (1978)
My First Star Wars Figures
Star Wars: The Black Series (3 3/4 inch) by Hasbro (2013)
Clone Trooper Sergeant
Star Wars: The Black Series Phase II (3 3/4 inch) by Hasbro
Star Wars Hero Mashers by Hasbro (2015)
Han Solo Vs. Boba Fett
Jar Jar Binks
Jedi Speeder & Anakin Skywalker
Luke Skywalker Vs. Darth Vader
Sith Speeder & Darth Maul
Yoda Vs. Emperor Palpatine
Star Wars: Rebels by Hasbro (2014)
Garazeb "Zeb" Orrelios and Stormtrooper
Sabine Wren and Stromtrooper
Stormtrooper Commander and Hera Syndulla
Jedi Temple Guard
Star Wars: The Vintage Collection by Hasbro
Imperial Scanning Crew