The distribution on Mattel's Masters of the Universe Origin line hasn't been very good and it's been pretty tough to find most of the figures in the line other than the series 1 releases. Scare Glow is part of series 2 and the last figure from that series that I found. Yeah, he's a 2020 release but I've finally got my hands on him. Scare Glow is probably one of the most exciting releases in this series so far as it's a great way for most fans to get a vintage inspired Scare Glow without having to break the bank and live off of Ramen for the next 6-12 months. Yeah, the vintage Scare Glow might not be that expensive but he's definitely pricy, especially if you're trying to acquire him complete with his cape and halberd. This guy's still not easy to acquire but he is a good bit cheaper. Let's check out Scare Glow after the break and see how the cult favorite of the vintage MOTU line has fared in the Origins series....
Height: 6 inches
Articulation: Swivel/hinge ankles, boot swivels, swivel/hinge knees, balljointed hips, waist swivel, swivel/hinge shoulders, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel/hinge wrists, and a double balljointed head.
Accessories: Cape, halberd, and minicomic.
Non-Scalper Price: $15 dollars
* Scare Glow is a relatively simple figure (a glow in the dark skeleton in a purple cape) but there's something about him that's just brilliant. I don't know how I missed out on the vintage Scare Glow (around 1986 and 1987 was when I was really into MOTU) but this guy looks more like his vintage self than any of the other figures in the line. He's still got the painted on bones, capturing the vintage aesthetic, and this time he has a molded plastic cape rather than a fabric cape. I would have preferred a fabric cape but this one isn't bad and you can still pose Scareglow in plenty of eerie ways.
* I've always liked the simple skeleton headsculpt for Scare Glow and he looks great in Origins. The eye are pretty spooky and the crack on his skull looks great, giving him something that helps him feel less generic.
* Does Scare Glow? You better believe it! I suck at taking glow in the dark pictures but, yeah, he glows pretty nicely with a terrifying green glow. What a spooky specter!
* The cape is made from a rubbery plastic but it looks great. I really like the color and the texture given to the material. The texture really stands out on the cape, especially on the mantle.
* They're also modular and can be easily separated to make your own lazy boy customs!
* Scare Glow comes with his neon green halberd, just like the vintage toy. It's a cool accessory and it completes his look nicely.
* The series 2 figures all come with the same minicomic: "Double Trouble." It's a cool little comic that features the series 2 characters and it adds a nice little something to the overall package.
* I haven't had any problems with it but, wow, that plastic collar for Scare Glows cape is awfully thin. This really seems like a part that could tear pretty easily if you were really posing this guy quite a bit for pictures or just messing around with him.
* The print of the negative space for Scare Glow's bones looks pretty good overall but there are definitely some smudgy areas that are a bit of an eyesore.
If you're a Scare Glow fan, check out my review of the MOTUC Scare Glow, the Mega Construx Scare Glow, the Funko POP! Scare Glow pencil, the Mondo Scareglow, the Vinyl SODA Scare Glow, and the ReAction Scare Glow and Scare Glow (Clear).
For more Masters of the Universe Origins reviews check out the following:
This is a very cool figure, and the glow in the dark feature makes it even cooler.ReplyDelete
I really like him, too. The glow feature works pretty well and the color of the figure seems spot on to the vintage toy. Most of the Origins figures are way brighter than their vintage counterparts but this guy seems spot on.Delete
Still no vintage?ReplyDelete
No, not yet. We were at a small comic convention this past weekend since my family has now been vaccinated for over 2 weeks and I did see a couple Scareglows from one seller but all were incomplete and some were really damaged. I'm still on the hunt, though.Delete
Very cool. Anything that glows in the dark works for me. Especially skeletons.ReplyDelete
I love being able to turn the lights off in my MOTU room and see so many figures glowing! I've been contemplating a month long focus on glow in the dark MOTU toys at some point in the future.Delete
Looking forward to opening mine, was kinda waiting on my Castle Grayskull preorder to shipReplyDelete
Who is your preorder with? Mine's with BBTS and they currently have it scheduled for August. I couldn't have waited that long.Delete
I just got mine the other day from bbts and love him! I also have considered getting a vintage scare glow a few times, but it seems like his price has jumped considerably in just the last year.ReplyDelete
The prices on most MOTU stuff (vintage, MOTUC, even some 200x) have gone crazy lately and have been steadily rising for the past few years.Delete