Wind Raider, the SDCC exclusive Battle Bones, and even Castle Grayskull. The figures, however, were still sold as part of the Mega Construx Heroes brand, meaning that alongside the MOTU cast were also characters from Hellboy, Aliens, Star Trek, TMNT, the X-Files, Terminator, and more. While the MOTU figures seemed to sell well, it seems that Mattel wants to sell them under their own brand, so next year we're getting a specific Masters of the Universe range of figures. Anyways, what does this have to do with Scareglow? Well, Scareglow was part of the fifth series of figures (along with Stratos, Donatello, a grey alien and Mulder from the X-Files, and a blue Xenomorph) which showed up briefly in some Walmart stores and then disappeared. Walmart stopped carrying the Mega Construx Heroes figures, making Scareglow a victim of Phantom Series syndrome! He's been showing up lately at places like Bargain Hunt and Essex, however, so get out and track down one of the coolest mini MOTU figures yet. Let's check out Scareglow after the break...
Height: 2 inches
Articulation: Hinged knees, balljointed hips, swivel waist, swivel/hinge
shoulders, swivel/ hinge elbows, swivel wrists, and a balljointed head.
Accessories: Cape, two piece halberd, and three piece display stand.
Non-Scalper Price: $5-$6 dollars
* Scareglow is one of the MOTU figures who showed up in 1987, late in the vintage line's life. While few people owned him as kids, he really has developed a cult following in recent years. While many later MOTU figures used completely unique bodies, Scareglow was part of a group of figures that was consisted of mostly reused parts. There's not much new here, either, though the printed "bone definition" on his body looks great and the paintwork is excellent for such a small figure.
* Scareglow has his own unique head, which looks more like a traditional skull than Skeletor's head does. He's got well detailed teeth, yellow eyes, and the signature crack across the left side of his skull.
* Scareglow's cape is excellent; it really looks like a miniaturized version of the MOTUC Scareglow's cape. It's held on by a peg that attaches to Scareglow's back and it simply rests on his shoulders. If you want to take it off, you gotta remove his head (which is easy).
* Scareglow is known for his evil, paralyzing glow, so it only makes sense that he glows in the dark. How crazy that I've reviewed two glow in the dark MOTU figures, huh? Anyways, his glow looks fantastic! He'll make a great addition as a roaming spirit wandering around outside of Castel Grayskull.
* If you haven't played with one of these yet, you need to. They are
very, very impressive. The articulation is incredible! Seriously, these
are some of the most well articulated toys you will find. They're
durable, poseable, and really, really fun. Heck, you can even customize
them easily, too. These are pure hand candy!
* To help display these, each figure includes a stand. The stand is
made of three separate pieces and features a Grayskull green base and a
nameplate with the character's name printed in silver.
* Lastly, Scareglow comes with his halberd. It's green, like the vintage toy, and it's made from two pieces. The same halberd is in the Castle Grayskull weapons rack, which was true in the vintage line, too, as Scareglow's weapon was a recast of the older accessory from the vintage Castle Grayskull.
If you're a Scareglow fan, check out my review of the MOTUC Scareglow and the ReAction Scareglow.
For more Masters of the Universe: Mega Construx reviews, check out the following:
Battle for Eternia Collection
Wind Raider Attack
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib