- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
Sunday, January 17, 2016
Action Figure Review: Gravity Suit Samus from World of Nintendo by Jakks Pacific
Height: 4 1/2 inches
Articulation: Swivel ankles, swivel/hinge knees, ball jointed hips,ball jointed mid-torso, swivel shoulders, swivel biceps, swivel/hinge elbows, swivel neck.
Accessories: Morph ball form and screw attack cardboard box.
Non-Scalper Price: $9-$10 dollars
* The articulation on this figure has some very peculiar problems. On the positive side, though, I want to mention two things: First, Samus is capable of taking a couple of very cool poses. She looks great kneeling or holding her arm cannon out while bracing it with her left hand. Second, she's very sturdy. The joints all feel nice and durable.
* The sculpt on this figure is still great and I kind of like the Gravity Suit color scheme. I wouldn't usually think of mixing all of those colors together but it works here. The paintwork is bright, neat, and clean.
*Since this is simply a repaint, the same bizarre articulation that the original; Samus had is present here. Why give a figure swivel/hinge elbows with swivel shoulders? What's with the oddly limited hips? With a bit more thoughtful articulation this could have been an incredible toy. As it stands, she's somewhat frustrating.
* While I love all of the intentional paintwork, there is a really odd splotch of errant red paint on Samus back right side. Can you see it in this picture? It looks like some major slop from the boosters on the back of her suit. Or ketchup. Maybe she needed to stage a Solid Snake styled escape from some Space Pirate prison.
1. The paint is a bit messy on it. You can see the purple running into the blue in this picture.
2. Since everything about this figure is a repaint, wouldn't a new accessory of some sort have been nice. Maybe a little metroid, a weapons pick up, or an unhelmeted head?
Gravity Suit Samus is still a fan figure but now that I have her I think I'm good on repaints of this armor. I'd really like to see a different styled armor (with reworked articulation) or a Zero Suit Samus. This is a Good figure but definitely one of the lesser figures in the line this year. Unless you're a completest on this line or a hardcore Metroid fan, this is probably one you can skip and not feel like you're missing out on anything.
I've mentioned that I've reviewed the basic Samus figure in this line, but I've also reviewed most other World of Nintendo figures, including: