an entire series of four figures on the episode and today I'm looking at the one I picked up: Barbara Gordon! Yup, this is essentially just Yvonne Craig in the black swimsuit she wore in the episode, but that's a pretty random variant I don't think anyone ever expected to see, eh? Let's take a closer look after the break...
Height: 8 inches
Articulation: Hinged ankles, hinged knees, elastic ball jointed hips,
o-ring waist, o-ring mid torso, o-ring shoulders, hinged elbows,
swivel/hinge wrists, o-ring neck, swivel head.
Accessories: Bathing suit and beach bag.
Non-Scalper Price: $30 dollars
* I usually don't talk much about packaging on here but I'm making an
exception since this packaging is intentionally reusable. There's a
plastic zip-tie through the peg hole that says Figures Toy
Co. Once you remove that you can easily open and close the durable
plastic clamshell. There are some twist ties but a little work will
allow you to keep your Barbara Gordon figure on display. I think she
great in the package as it's very personalized for her with two pictures of
her in this exact outfit from "Surf's Up! Joker's Down!"
* I'm not a fan of the Mego style but they really do have a pretty
of articulation built around a standard and easily reusable body. There's a series of
rubber connectors inside
that give the neck, torso, hips, and shoulders a lot of movement. If
you've never held one in person the figure seems to be kind of a cross
between a Marvel Legends figure and a Barbie.
you can see in greater detail here. I think we can agree that considering the scale and style of these figures, Figures Toy Co. did a decent nice job of capturing the look of the bathing suit. It's not perfect but it's still recognizable and gets the point across.
* To give her something to tote around, Figures Toy Co. packaged Babs with an orange beach bag. It's a pretty nice accessory done in a plasticy, pleathery material that feels like an authentic beach bag. It's functional, too!
* I'm really divided by Barbara's headsculpt as I have some pretty heavy
criticisms of it, but first I do want to point out the positives: If you
look at the headsculpt from the nose up, it's pretty good. The eyes,
hair, and nose really capture Yvonne Craig's likeness. Even though this
is done in a retro style, the likeness is still quite recognizable.
*The problem with this headsculpt is the lower half of the face. The
first problem is that the jawline seems much too large and rounded. It
really just seems far to oversized to work with the rest of the face.
Secondly, Figures Toy Co. went with a rather odd expression. I wish
they'd gone with a smile or something rather than this odd glare.
Everyone was always so happy and silly in the 1966 series and that look
would have been so much more fitting, especially for this episode.
* The hips on these figures often look weird, particularly if there isn't anything covering them like a cape, jacket, or skirt, or robe. These just look a bit odd in person.
* This is probably just a molding error rather than a problem with every figure in the line but my Barbara had some really odd disfiguring on her right hand and wrist.
I've only reviewed two other Mego styled Batgirl figure on the site Batgirl
from Figures Toy Co.'s Batman Retro: First Appearance and yesterday's 1966 Barbara Gordon. I've reviewed
plenty of other Batgirl stuff, all of which is archived at my virtual Batgirl museum.
If you're looking for more stuff based on the Batman Classic TV Series, check out my reviews of:
Batman: Classic TV Series by Mattel (2013)
Surf's Up Batman
Batman: Classic TV Series Bendables by NJ Croce (2014)
Batman: Classic TV Series Maquettes by Tweeterhead
Batgirl (Signature Series)
Batman: Classic TV Series Premiere Collection by Diamond Select Toys
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap