DC Super Hero Girls and the flood of 1966 Batgirl merchandise and you have a character who has truly experienced a renaissance. One of the most interesting points of this era was the redesign and soft reboot for Batgirl that has been dubbed Batgirl of Burnside. Brenden Fletcher, Cameron Stewart, and Babs Tarr did something unique with the character during their limited time with the book and it seems that elements of that will follow Barbara into the rebirth era. In the meantime, though, DC Collectibles has released another statue of this particular look under their DC Comics Designer Series banner. Ready for a closer look at this 1/6th scale colorful Batgirl of Burnside? Then join me after the break...
Height: 11 1/4 inches plus 3/4 inch base
Accessories: Removable base
Medium: Cold-cast porcelain
Sculpted by: Irene Matar
Non-Scalper Price: $100-$125 dollars
* While this is just an up-sized and painted version of a statue that has already been released, it fortunately is based on an incredible statue of a character design by two incredible artists. One of the things I love best about this statue (and there's a lot I
love) is the pose. It's just very casual and fun, which absolutely fits
this newew take on Batgirl. That's not saying Batgirl isn't as tough as
nails when she needs to be, but she's also a graduate student trying to
have some fun in her free time as well. She looks confident, relaxed, and ready to get
something started. Batgirl is a bit of a celebrity in trendy Burnside
and this statue shows Barbara trying to exude some of the confidence
needed to pull that role off.
* The expression here is great and really captures Tarr's artwork well.
It's an incredibly cute depiction of Barbara in a more relaxed and
carefree moment. I love Irene Matar's sculpting and she totally captures this particular version of Babs in this piece.
* I'm also digging the work on her very practical looking utility belt. The pouches look like they could legitimately hold a bit of gear and seem rather functional. The paintwork on the zippers for the hoodie styled pockets also looks cool. These colors nicely break up the purple suit.
* The base is quite nice and meshes well with he statue. It features a Batgirl logo that is etched into the base itself. I love the effect with the interior of the base being painted purple. It's quite heavy and serves as a very competent display base. Of course, the edition number is written on the bottom. Mine is #4724, FYI.
* The thing that I definitely prefer about this statue over the Black & White version is the vibrant paint scheme! The fantastic colors such as the purple suit with yellow highlights, Babs' hair, and her red lips just look awesome. I love how colorful this statue is!
* If you get close, you can see a couple of details that aren't as visually pleasing as the rest of the statue. There is definitely some visible glue around Babs' neck and the paintwork on her bat-logo is a tad bit gloppy.
* I'm not holding this against the rating of the figure (because my replacement was just fine! Thanks Big Bad Toy Store!) but my first Batgirl statue arrived broken. I mean broken! The head was snapped off, the collar was crumbling, and the cape was cracked and completely removed. If you purchase this figure either make sure you order from a reputable seller or try to inspect the statue first.
I've mentioned a few times that I've reviewed the smaller version of this statue from the Batman: Black & White line but I've also reviewed dozens of other Batgirl statues, toys, and collectibles. Check out my virtual Batgirl museum!
- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash