As I'm wrapping up stuff I picked up in 2021 I figured I'd take a quick look at the Power-Con 2021 exclusive Chromatic Power Sword scaled prop replica from Factory Entertainment. Factory Entertainment has been putting out a good bit of Masters of the Universe prop replicas and while there 1:1 scaled items are fairly expensive, these smaller scaled releases are affordable and it's easier to find room to display them. Factory Entertainment released the standard He-Man Power Sword in 2020 and Skeletor's sword in 2021 but for Power-Con 2021 they released a chromatic variant that has a really cool color scheme to it. It puts me in the mind of carnival glass, which is kind of neat. It's a unique take on the Power Sword and it looks really cool on display so I decided to pick it up. It's part of a limited run of 1,000 and you can still pick them up, so that's something. Maybe there's just not a huge market for these? Let's take a look at the Chromatic Variant of the Power Sword after the break...
Length: 7 1/2 inches
Composition: Solid metal
Scale: Around 1/5th
Non-Scalper Price: $35 dollars
Edition Size: $35 dollars
* The chromatic Power Sword comes in the same collector friendly durable box with an opening top as the other items in the series. The top easily lifts off to reveal the sword inside of a molded tray and covered with another plastic overlay. You can remove and replace it quite easily and overall it does a fine job of holding the item and showing off what's inside.
* What you're getting here is a solid metal version of the Power Sword. It's sturdy and the chromatic finish is really impressive. It looks fantastic, especially when light hits it. This is actually my favorite piece from this line yet.
* Factory Entertainment went with the vintage look for the Power Sword which is always welcome. It's tough to beat a classic, you know?
* The chromatic finish extends down to the handle and looks amazing in the center of the sword. The detail here, especially on the quillons, looks fantastic.
* I say it every time but, still, my biggest complaint with this line is that there really isn't a great way to display these. You can leave it in the box or use the box insert but that's not terribly attractive for display. I really wish Factory Entertainment would have crafted a small stand to hold the item, either horizontally or vertically, something perhaps with a small name plate. Presentation is key for a prop replica and that would have been a nice touch.
You know what? It might sound crazy but this is definitely my favorite release in this line yet. No, it's not exactly "accurate" to any source material but it just looks excellent. That chromatic finish is gorgeous and looks even better in person. You're paying a small exclusive tax here (about $5 bucks more than a standard release in this line) but the limited run and the overall coolness of this item definitely helps offset that. I'm really curious if this line will continue. I haven't heard about any new pieces lately and most everything else still seems available but maybe they're currently focusing on other stuff like the various MOTU themed mugs and cookie jars they're selling through BBTS. This is a Good and a 1/2 piece and definitely something unusual for the collection, which I always appreciate.
If you're looking for just the Power Sword I did review the 1989 Power Sword from the He-Man/ New Adventures line and the standard factory Entertainment scaled Power Sword. Of course, most He-Man figures in my Fabulous Secret Powers archive also have Power Sword accessories included with them, too.
For more reviews from Factory Entertainment's MOTU offerings check out the following:
That's actually really cool looking with all those colours. Perhaps even looks as fabulous as those secret powers revealed to Adam when he holds aloft that sword? :) But yeah a lil stand would be nice. Perhaps able to find something that can do the trick in a gift shop or something. But yeah the sword itself looks great.ReplyDelete
It definitely makes me think of the Hey, Hey, Hey Yeah music video, which I absolutely love. I do need to look for something although I've been finding places to display the items in the box on it's side (like in the last picture). It looks pretty decent that way.Delete