- Action Figure Review Index
- Who is Barbecue17?
- My Toy Review Rating Scale!
- 31 Days of Toy Terror!
- Top 10 Lists and Other Stuff
- Podcasts on The Epic Review
- Oh the Horror!: Horror Movie Reviews!
- The Batgirl Library
- The Dark Knight Gallery
- Fabulous Secret Powers
- Snake Mountain!
- Beast Manor
- The Harley Quinndex
- The Joker's Funhouse
- Tosche Station
- The Kessel Run
- The Crystal Castle
- Teela: Warrior Goddess
- Trap Jaw's Tourist Trap
- Cringer's Crib
- Sea of Rakash
Saturday, March 30, 2019
Action Figure Review: Piranha Plant from Super Mario by Jakks Pacific
Height: 4 3/8ths inches
Articulation: Swivel stem base, swivel "neck," and hinged jaws.
Accessories: Question block
Non-Scalper Price: $12-$13 dollars
* I always complement Jakks Pacific on how many unique designs this line offers but I do believe that the Piranha Plant might be the most unique looking figure of them all. Permanently attaching the Piranha Plant to a pipe base was a good idea and it automatically makes for a more interesting figure. The paintwork and colors are great and the overall look of the character very nicely captures the Nintendo look and feel.
* I love the.. headsculpt? I guess that's what you'd call it. Anyways, the shape of the plant's head is perfect and the teeth and tongue look really, really cool. Seriously, the Piranha Plant is one of the coolest looking figures released yet in one of Jakks' Nintendo lines.
* The hinged jaw allows for a greater degree of posing and is very fun to play with. Seriously, this thing could chill out on your desk and amuse you over and over by eating anything in sigh. Opening jaws are always a tremendously feature on a figure.
* I love that Jakks Pacific rooted the Piranha Plant in a pipe. Popping out of pipes is what these chompers are know for so this is a perfect fit. It provides a great base. I love that the interior base is black, too, as it gives the illusion of depth in the pipe.
* The simple paint pattern on the leaves really strikes me as very cool. These could have just been plain green but this little extra detail goes a long way towards making the figure even better!
* There isn't much articulation here. I can understand most of that but a true balljoint at the base of the Piranha Plant's head or at the base of it's stem would have been very welcome. Heck, a bendable stem would have been amazing!
While the simple Mario and Luigi variants in this series were incredibly disappointing, the villains were great. Parabones was excellent, the Fire Bro made for a nice additional army builder, and now the Piranha Plant pops in to add another Great villain to the Super Mario lineup. This is definitely a figure Mario fans should check out as Jakks did a great job. It' a really fun toy and, despite it's limited articulation, still manages to be quite fun.
This is the first action figure of the Piranha Plant I've reviewed. For more Super Mario figures check out the following:
Mario with Super Star