Hey, look! It's another Xenomorph on the countdown! I was really struggling with finding something for X and decided to go with a Xenomorph. I didn't want to review another Kenner figure but I have this Super7 ReAction the Newborn from Alien Resurrection as part of my Aliens collection and decided he'd be a perfect fit. Despite Alien Resurrection being fairly unpopular, I've always thought the Newborn human/ alien hybrid was a creepy creature design. I remember seeing the film at a dollar movie back in early 1998. My mom didn't want to see the movie so she took my friend and I to a dollar theater, bought three tickets, got us in the theater, and went and saw something else. Few toy companies have released merchandise from the film but when they do it usually is this guy. Or girl. The film model had both male and female inspired genitalia, though it was removed in post production. Different sources have referred to the Newborn Xenomorph as being male or female. The Newborn alien is born via livebirth rather than from an egg but I don't remember it being covered in blood like this. It definitely makes for a more gruesome figure, though. Let's check this little tyke out after the break...
Height: 4 3/8th inches
Articulation: Swivel hips, swivel shoulders, and a swivel head
Non-Scalper Price: $18 dollars
Year of Release: 2021
* This figure is really creepy. I mean, really creepy. The body is oddly proportioned and slender in a way that just feels unsettling. The blood effect on this fellow might be a little overdone, but it's pretty shocking and it looks great. The figure, if not done covered in blood, might have been a but dull. There's some nice detail here. It's another figure that walks the fine line between feeling like a truly vintage inspired figure and having some modern flare and design.
* The weirdly small yet human face on the front of the Newborn always gives me the creeps. It's a very excellent sculpt even though it looks so rough and just not quite right. This thing is one of the creepiest 1/18th scale figures I've ever seen.
* Here's a shot of the Newborn Xenomorph from the side. it has the classic elongated head but there's a different design to it with lots of weird cavities.
* Here's a shot to really emphasize how long and strange the Newborn's limbs are. Factor in the long fingers, toes, and the bent knees and you've got a creature that just seems like something out of a nightmare.
* There's some excellent sculpting on the back as well, though the bloody paint does make it harder to notice. Still, that shocking paint job really does capture your attention and keeps the Xenomorph as a center of attention on your shelf.
* The Newborn alien has the standard five points of articulation you'd expect from a ReAction figure: Swivel hips, swivel shoulders, and a swivel head. He can sometimes be a bit difficult to stand in some positions but overall he's sturdy and just a simple, fun toy.
Looking for more Xenomorphs/ aliens? Then check out LV-426, a collection of all of my reviews of the Xenomorphs in their multitude of forms.